Tuesday, September 19, 2006

"Poets of Filmlight"

Sven Nykvist, Stockholm, Sweden, 1995

copyright Piotr Jaxa - photo from the collection "Cinematographers - Poets of Filmlight"

Welcome to the first installment of a mini-series celebrating some of the world’s greatest cinematographers.

I was rooting around on the net a few weeks back when I discovered this website. It is with the kind permission of Piotr Jaxa that a few of his portraits will be presented here for your enjoyment. I have also included some selected stills highlighting the artistry of the men featured.

Fanny & Alexander, 1982

Cries and Whispers, 1972

Winter Light, 1962

Autumn Sonata, 1978

Through a Glass Darkly, 1961


Steve said...

Fabulous shot from Winter Light. Nykvist had an unerring eye for the transcendental in the everyday...

Jeff Duncanson said...

yes. "Winter Light" may be my favorite B&W cinematography. it's certainly on a very short list with Joe McDonald's work on "My Darling Clementine" ,and Gordon Willis on "Manhattan"

Richard Gibson said...

He was a wonderful cinematographer.

I didn't even know Nykvist had passed until I checked out the film bloggers this morning.

Thanks for posting Jeff and looking forward to the series.

Jeff Duncanson said...

It's sort of spooky that I posted this on Tuesday, and he died on Wednesday.