Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Week of Movie Watching

The Thief of Bagdhad – The Criterion disc. I wish I’d had a chance to see this when I was 9 or 10. It was entertaining in the grand Jason and the Argonauts style, and the special effects and especially the sets are impressive. Naturally, it has moments that are silly child-like fantasy, but that’s the audience it was make for. Conrad Veigt is terrifically slimy as the villain. Recommended.

Australia – Let me run down the list. A snooty damsel out of her element? Check. A rough around the edges he-man who gradually falls in love with her? Check. An evil rancher who wants to buy up the woman’s land? Check. A small boy who, due to a tragedy, comes under the care of said woman and man? Check. A friend of the he-man who heroically gives up his life to save his friend? Check. I could go on. There literally isn’t a single solitary cliché that this film doesn’t employ, thus it was a real slog for me. The only saving grace was the cinematography, which is spectacular. Not recommended.

Beverly Hills Chihuahua – Jamie Lee Curtis, Drew Barrymore, Andy Garcia….What were you thinking? This was a one-note joke that got old really, really quickly. Still, I think I liked it better than Australia.

No comments: